Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Covered Bridge Race #2..as I saw it

I guess I missed a lot of the race. How..I dunno. I felt like I was a part of it more than anything. I spent the first lap getting the cobb webbs and the first race of the season gitters out. Near the end of the first lap a gap had formed and Spin and Stark Velo were sitting on the front setting tempo. So I thought I'd take my chance to see if i could bridge the gap...so at 1 1/2 laps into the race I started my run at it. I was able to bridge the gap about a quarter of the way through the 2nd lap. Mind you...there are 7 laps, 5 miles each, total. So their was 4 of us in the break...and I guess a couple more up the road a little farther whom we never saw again. We passed the start/finish line with 4 laps to go when we we realized Paul Martin and Sean Adams (my teammate) had started to bridge across to us. I felt ok at this point, but when Paul took a pull at 37 mph...I had my worries...I lasted a little more than a full lap after that point...leaving less than 3 laps to go...So I sat up and waited for the peloton...which in short order caught up to me. So I sat in and endured, even having to stop for the lovely train...I finished the race dangling off the back of the spread out peloton; which never really reformed after the train. I felt I had a great...hard workout and a good race. Next week should prove to be easier.

I'm not really sure how things in the Peloton played out while I was up the road in the break away. I heard my teammates did a lot of work and chasing. Which awesome. As a team we didn't so well, so hopefully this week we can be more organized in our attemptes.

No comments: