Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Vulture's Knob

Wow...honestly the last time I RACED a mountain bike was October of '05 out in Moab. The only time on trails since was last fall where I got in three trail rides. Soo....I decided this winter/spring I wanted to do the Mohican 100k. Which equals 62 and some change miles of craziness.
The way things worked out, my only trail time so far this year and what looks to be the only trail time before Mohican, was the race at Vulture's Knob this weekend. With little technical skills left, I decided it was best to ride the sport class. That was a wise choice, the bad choice was trying to "race" it. I was fine until I lost my water bottle less than half way into the first lap. Bad thing on a 85 degree plus day. I faded fast...it was 1st to 4th then I ended up 6th. But I felt like I was standing still out there. I actually took time to pick up my lost bottle on the second lap. But the technical skills are coming back and I atleast have the confidence I can ride for 62+ miles this weekend. The weather for this weekend looks awesome. Mid 70's and sunny. I won't complain. We're (my wife Mel, my son Easton, and my mother-in-law Kathy) are camping down there. It should be epic.

No comments: