Monday, November 17, 2008

Let it snow!

I had some "longer" riders this weekend. I did 2 hours inside on Saturday (it was cold and raining) and then I did 3 hours of endurance on my mountain bike outside on Sunday. It was the first time this fall/winter I've gotten to ride in snow. It was about 35 degree's, so not too cold, but after a while your feet get wet and really cold and man can that start to hurt! Winter time riding presents all sorts of new challenges. Your fluid can freeze along with your eyelashes and nose hairs. The key is layers and good wicking base layers. Personally I can tollerate riding outside when the temps get down into the low twenties as long as it's dry. I wont ride in rain below 50 degrees. I'd rather sit inside on my computrainer than suffer through that.
I'll have to start carrying a camera for my long winter rides. I saw some really cool stuff. Without the leaves on the trees. there is definitly a lot more stuff you can see. I don't know how many times yesterday I said to myself "Wow, I didn't know that was there".
I had thought about racing cross this season, but I decided not too. I felt that I needed some down time in October so that thru cross out the window. My coach Sean has a FTP test planned for me next week so I'm excited to do that and get some results. I feel like I'm riding well and have a good idea of what I need and would like to work on. Hopefully my next season can have more mountain biking involved in it. For the variety and the fact its just fun.
I had a one of those "man...this sucks" moments this morning. As I got into my main set my rear tire blew out and I got a flat...ON MY TRAINER! So I had to hurry up and change wheels and finish up my ride. There's always something.
So let it snow! Lets get this winter started now so it'll be over in march like it should be, not in late April like it has been the past few years.

No comments: