Monday, November 3, 2008

The "OFF" season

So in cycling there is no true "off" season. I'm well aware of that fact. If you want, you can go from spring to fall and race pretty much non stop around here. Whether its road bike, mountain or cyclocross, you can do it. The key is trying to balance training, racing, and life so as not to get burned out.
I ended up training all of last year for the State Championship race in Caesar Creek, Ohio. It was suppose to be in June, then it got bumped to September, then it got moved to October. Ok, seriously who can train for such a thing like that? I'm telling you its the GHOST! The first bump was ok, I had enough time to rest and then rebuild. But the second move was just bad. The wheels pretty much came off. My biggest mistake race day was using a new mixture of stuff in my water. It screwed up my stomach with THE worst cramps I've ever had. Sadly the break I was in, despite feeling like I had gotten punched square in the gut, got chased down by a team who had a guy in the break. Go figure! He wasn't the guy they were working for. So my misfortune there too. What's funny is, this team that chased us down, didn't even get anyone in the top 3. Karma! (or ghost?)

So now I attempt to refocus on next season. I'd love to be able to get my cat 2 upgrade. So we'll see how that goes. My coach Sean Gilbert from Bike Authority did a fine job this past summer getting me in shape. So I know it can happen again. I'm not sure if I want to focus on one big race again or just try to be as fast as possible and ride as much as possible.

So again, there is no "off" season. I've gone right from racing to a little down time this past couple of weeks right back into 2009 training.

No comments: